Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rarest of the Rare: Leonard Nimoy's Cassette Tape on Dot Records!!!


There I was, minding my own business, when I found a Nimoy object I have never, ever seen before. A cardboard backed cassette tape featuring the music of Leonard Nimoy. The cardboard has no photo of Nimoy at all, just a pseudo-psychedellic smattering of swirls and an ink blob in the lower left. It is by Dot records, the same quaint record company that produced Nimoy's albums.

On the cassette, just four songs. SIDE ONE: "Theme from "Star Trek"" and  "Visit to a Sad Planet" (from Leonard Nimoy Presents: Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space, released in 1967)  SIDE TWO: "Highly Illogical" and "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" (from Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy LP, 1967).

Audio cassette tapes were patented in 1964 by the Phillips company, but were in no way common by 1967-68. What the hell is this little gem, then, and who would have bought it?

I bet Nimoy himself has never seen this little audio rarity.

I love it so very much. I shall never, ever open it.

No comments:

Post a Comment